Drop the blue box, sista.
Seriously. Just head on over to your garbage can, and toss it in. You’re welcome.
Why make a ho-hum muffin from a box, when you can quickly and so easily create THE BEST SWEET CORNBREAD EVER?
And if you’re not a blue box repeat offender, I still dare you to make this cornbread, take one glorious taste of it, and deem it not THE BEST SWEET CORNBREAD EVER.
Did I mention that it’s terribly easy and doesn’t require any super powers? This delicious recipe takes just 3 minutes longer than the box stuff, you don’t need any sort of electric mixer, and it uses just one mixing bowl!
The result: you will single-handedly create the tastiest, moistest, golden-est, delicious-est cornbread you’ve ever laid your tastebuds on.
The ingredients are butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, flour, plain yellow cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Boom.
Don’t have buttermilk? Make it in a pinch with milk and lemon juice, or vinegar, or any of 3 other things you probably have on hand. Instructions here.
Once you’ve made this delicious batter (I know- I’ve tasted), the possibilities are endless. You can serve it up the traditional way, or add a few handfuls of berries and some fresh lemon zest for a sweet breakfast treat. Try it with a bowl of warm and spicy chili. Create mini burger sliders with chipotle-lime mayo. Or pour it on top of your favorite chicken pot pie filling for comfort food at its finest. <—(SHUT THE FRONT DOOR)
WARNING: this recipe is “So easy a caveman can-” well, ya know..
SECONDARY WARNING: this recipe should be made with real butter, real sugar, and real buttermilk. Doing so might turn you into an instant celebrity.
FINAL WARNING: If you make this cornbread and feed it to any human in your household, it will be requested of you. Repeatedly. For ever.
- ½ c. butter
- ½ c. sugar (heaping)
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease a cast iron skillet, baking pan, or muffin tin.
- Microwave butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl until melted.
- Stir in sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in eggs, then stir in buttermilk, baking soda, and salt.
- Add cornmeal and flour, gently fold until just combined and a few lumps remain.
- Pour into prepared pan/tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If making muffins, check them at 15 minutes. Do not over bake!
*This recipe can also handle 1 c. additions of whole kernel corn (or berries and lemon zest!).